It’s quick and easy to cook lentils in the Instant Pot, slow cooker, or on the stove. No soaking needed. See the variations for the slow cooker and stove top methods.
How to Serve Instant Pot Lentils
Serve over rice or baked potatoes. Or use these quick-cooking lentils to make Lentil-Walnut Taco Filling
Freeze extra cooked lentils in a zip-top bag to make them easier to measure out and defrost for the next time you want lentils in a hurry. That’s cooking smarter, not harder.
Instant Pot Lentils
- 2-1/3 cups lentils 1 pound
- 6 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Sort and rinse lentils. Transfer to a 6- or 8-quart pressure cooker. Stir in water and salt. Secure the lid and close the pressure release valve. Select the Pressure Cook/Manual setting and set for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is completed, allow the pressure to release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick- release any remaining pressure. Carefully remove the lid. Makes about 6 cups.
- Stove Top Lentils: Cook until soft, about 35-45 minutes.
- Slow-Cooked Lentils: Cook in a slow cooker 6-8 hours on low, or 3-5 hours on high.