Broccoli and Kale Slaw
What a tasty way to enjoy the nutritional benefits of cruciferous vegetables! This make-ahead salad keeps for several days in the refrigerator. It also works well for potlucks.
- 2/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp organic sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tsp poppy seeds or chia seeds, optional
- 12 oz package broccoli slaw (about 4-5 cups)
- 1/2 bunch kale, washed, stems removed, and finely chopped (about 3-4 cups)
- 2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, or blueberries
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Stir mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, orange juice concentrate, lemon zest, salt, and poppy seeds, if using, together in a large bowl until well mixed. Stir in broccoli slaw, kale, and cabbage.
- Work dressing into vegetables by massaging thoroughly with hands.
- If time allows, refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to several hours.
- Stir in pumpkin seeds and cranberries just before serving.
- Substitute roasted pecans, cashews, walnuts, sunflower seeds, or slivered almonds for the pumpkin seeds. Substitute any combination of chopped broccoli or cauliflower florets, shredded broccoli stems, and shredded green or red cabbage for the broccoli slaw and cabbage. Substitute shredded Brussels sprouts or chopped radicchio for part or all of the shredded cabbage. Substitute chopped baby kale, spinach, or other greens for the kale. Omit kale. Substitute 2 cups of shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw. Add 1-2 chopped green onions. Add peeled and sliced fresh peaches when in season.
- *In a hurry? Substitute 1 (28-ounce) package or 2 (12-ounce) packages of Sweet Kale Salad Kit for the broccoli slaw, kale, cabbage, cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Discard the salad dressing packet. *Keep lemon zest on hand for recipes such as this that benefit from the extra layer of flavor. Buy an extra lemon or two, preferably organic. Wash and dry. Remove the peel with a Microplane or fine grater. Freeze the zest in a freezer container. Use the juice in a salad dressing or freeze it in 1 tablespoon portions in an ice cube tray.